Thursday 23 September 2010

add a splash of colour...



Early this morning I came into college in attempts to achieve a quick head-start on the project for the day. Though initially unsure as to whether or not the group had decided to opt for the colour or monochrome palette, I decide to produce some quick colour samples in photoshop to demonstrate what they may look like with this enhancement, and to provide more demonstrations of our sampling this work in our group crit later this afternoon.

I took my completed monochrome illustration (as shown in my previous blog) and added pastel-tone colours for a soft and gentle enhancement to my illustration. I decided in this example to leave the typographic scroll uncoloured, as I thought this would work well with both the fine liner outline and the white "icing" sections I have left uncoloured (see above).



I then went on to colour the scroll in a light cream brown, with darker shadow brown where necessary, giving it a more "classically aged" scroll appearance, whilst still keeping the illustration clean and crisp. I like the subtle shadowing on this sample, though I think that the first sample illustration perhaps looks a bit fresher and cleaner with the large sections of white.

I am still undecided as to which sample I will use in the final design, however, it is, of course, not just my decision within the group, and I will look for the opinions and thoughts of my other team members to make a joint decision as to which would be most appropriate for our design collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment