Thursday 30 September 2010

alphabet soup: design development and final collection.




Throughout the past week, I have been busy attempting to complete the project brief set before us at the start of the week.
Although I have faced some issues which may have hindered my progress- balancing my part-time job with college work, as well as induring minor illness, but I can now safely say that I have created a set of 10 A6 typographic designs that I believe that I can be proud of, and will feel no shame to present to others in the crit later today.

Admittedly, at the beginning of this week, I was finding the prospect of completing this week-long project somewhat daunting and challenging- starting off feeling incredibly uninspired and lacking in the way of original and aesthetically creative ideas.

However, I had a flash of inspiration, developing from inital idea mind mapping (see picture above), on Thursday morning (talk about last minute pressure!). Although I had referenced many different areas of division, such as "cuts", "tears", "seperations", etc, they all seemed rather cliched and stereotypical.

I don't quite know where it emerged from, but the idea of division through scientific means (the division of particles- nuclear fission) kept on popping into my mind, developed from my initial reaction to the word "division", i instantly thought of maths and science.
Therefore, I decided to go with my gut instinct, and create my typographic alphabet soup series based on the wonders of science!...

No comments:

Post a Comment