Saturday 16 October 2010

visual thinking sequence excercise.


In our first visual thinking studio session, we started to really break down and develop visual thinking through the simplest methods of layout and communication.

Each "designated" a word from a list of five within our half of the form group, and had to develop this word over a series of 5 10x10cm squares with the letter 'A' from a font of our choice from the selection (rockwell, arial narrow, helvetica, times new roman).

my first word (above) was "catch", my second being "slip" (below) which I think I represented very simply, yet effectively...



then we went on to develop a series of 20 10x10cm sqaures within groups (mine being myself, Baljeet, and James), relfecting the opposite of a designated words, ours being "burst", therefore, we chose "compress".

we cut our 'A' times new roman letter into several pieces, with our intact 'A' in the center to show continuity, while each sqaure pattern density decreased with each sqaure.


I quite enjoyed this excercise, as it made me really take a step back to look at type and meaning from a totally new angle, to evaluate words and the english language in it's simplist form.

No comments:

Post a Comment