Thursday 16 December 2010

Typogateaux Research.




For the sake of typogateaux research (of course), I have begun to explore the depths of bakery and cake design- with the taste test here and there too!

I knew that I wanted to create something both visually attractive,and with a delicious interior, so I began exploring both elements.

The Lyons French Sandwich sponge cake, above, for example- a reliable old sponge cake, but a little too dry for my tastes, the cup of tea was definately needed!

So, after an initial tasting, I explored some online recipes...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/heston_blumenthal/article736732.ece


heston blumenthal popping candy cake- a really exciting recipe I saw on Heston Blumenthal's television show around half a year ago- whereupon the gooey chocolate cake reveals a magical twist with a popping candy center!


chocolate marble cake- i love the effect that marble cakes make- the swirly pattern really adds a new level of psyhcadellic sophistication that I just love- a definate consideration for my typogateaux piece.


rainbow marble cake- i've experimented with multiple colour marble cakes in the past- really fun and vibrant, this method is certainly an eye-catching one!:


sophie dahl's orange and raspberry sponge cake- another favourite from the television chef archives- I love Sophie Dahl's rustic and homely style- more is more!


nigella's traditional victoria sponge- another true culinary inspiration- Nigella's wickedly glutenous and yet sensationally wholesome cake looks irresistable. I think a sponge is definately the way forward for my typogateaxu project- I can adapt and manipulate it really easily whilst still being a crowd-pleaser.


Inspired by the ideas of magic and colour- I started to think themes, and fairytales instantly came to mind- and what more a magical fairytale than Cinderella?

I started searching for ideas- and was really inspired and charmed by the idea of crafting tiny sponge and icing pumpkins- there were some great examples on the web...


...brilliant, but I'm not sure how well this maccabre scene would have gone down with Disney's target market...




Here, some examples of how marbelled cake can look, here, using rainbow colours- bright, colourful, and sickly sweet.



Further inspiration for typogateaux- the "pumpkin carriage", perhaps make the cake quite elegant, sophisticated, yet simplistic? Focus on flavours and the delicate details...





monotype corsiva

lucinda calligraphy italic

Above, I have begun to look at different typefaces that would be suited to my 'Cinderella' theme- I really like the elegant scripture styles, but of course, the structure and stability of the final cake will be the true test of just how elegant a letter I can make it!

Really excited to get started on creating my cake, and seeing all the other cakes to be made throughout the BA (Hons) Graphic Design programme, what a brilliant brief!

No comments:

Post a Comment