Sunday 5 December 2010

What If...Ideas Development.


As part of our final presentation, I have decided to make a portraiture stop motion piece to conclude and summarise our solution aims within our project.
Having only ever created one animation, I knew that I was fairly inexperienced, but I relished the idea of a challenge, and know that I will do my very hardest to achieve a high-quality, pleasing result.
Without the same software that I had previously used (istopmotion) I resorted to the standard PC software available to me for experimentation- windows movie maker. Whilst perhaps not achieving the most professional results, I felt, at very least, it would give my mind a "refresh" to the animation process, and certainly help me if I go on to use the far more sophisticated programmes available at University later on it the week.
Unsure how to use this software, being completely new to me, I researched some hints and tips, and came along this clear, informative short:

Following these instructions, and learning a lot as I went, I spent ten minutes taking a series of quick shots showing a sequence...




The three above show a small sheep ornament toy "walking" to the into music of Regina Spektor's 'Raindrops'- in which I took around twenty photographs, each with a fraction of movement, giving the illusion of movement when sequenced together in the movie maker presentation.
As I had discovered with my first (and last!) attempts of animation, keeping consistent lighting can be a real problem, as was shown here with the constant "flickering" of the white balance, due to where I was positioned taking photos, altering the light and shadows.
Therefore, when I take my portraiture photographs for the final piece I will need to ensure that I have consistent lighting- probably within a studio with continuous intensity and backdrop- as the images are so fast-moving, it would be too visually busy otherwise, I believe.


The video above (with music from 'Summer in the City' by Regina Spektor) is a quick stop motion experiment with myself to see how people are represented in pixelation animation- taking arounf eighty photos and sequencing them together- with fractions of movement in between, again, like my experiements beforehand with the ornamental sheep toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment