Thursday 13 January 2011

Moustache Vouyerism.


As suggested in my feedback for my current 'Collection 100' project, today, I took to the streets of Leeds is order to gain some primary research in the way of photographing moustaches- and to try to gain an understanding of what styles are most popular in modern day, and how this could potentially influence my work.

Unfortuantely, moustaches were on the low today- If i get the oppurtunity, I would really like to go out again at the weekend, and see how succesful my spottings will then be. Here are the few images I gathered today...


teenage moustache + winter hat= a lot of fuzz.


the beard-and-moustache-combo...sadly a lot more popular than the moustache nowadays, but definately going in the right direction!


sadly, there wasn't much luck on a thursday winter morning with pedistrians in and around leeds adorning moustaches- i did capture the odd one or two, but with so few people about, i felt it was hard to take pictures without making people feel particularly awkward or exposed.


...now that's more like it! a classic walrus-like handlebar, though, as i expected, most commonly found on the older gentleman- i really have to push and promote this to a younger audience if we want the generations of moustache-wearing to continue!


double whammy! two young guys with moustache and moustache/beard combos- winter's natural scarf for men.


i love the "stereotyped" image of an older gentleman wearing a flatcap and adorning a moustache, there is something so seemingly patriotic to the North about it, completely rustic- and reminds me of my grandfather. A lovely, wholesome image (even if he didn't feel like smiling all that much...)

I will also send out various e-mails to friends, families, other students, etc with requests for moustache pictures to build up a greater quantity (and quality) of research.

No comments:

Post a Comment