Thursday 13 January 2011

Serious Drawings (and moustaches!)...by Marc Johns.


One of my favourite art books 'Serious Drawings', by Marc Johns showcases a quirky series of characters- both inanimate and living, each unique and perfectly charming, often due to the addition of a moustache, naturally...









Marc John's eccentric, playful drawings have inspired me for a long time- and I feel now they inspire me more than ever. His whimsical use of moustaches is a force to be reckoned with, and I would love to emulate something like this in my own work (the moustaches on strings already proving a source of inspiration for a previous self portrait taken!). 
I would love to have this sort of eccentricity and playfullness in my final design- following the idea of "why moustaches are marvellous" and really being inventive.
Also consider the form I represent it in- does it just have to be a book? Could it be sticky notes (post-it's) like Marc Johns, perhaps book marks, posters, paper tags, clothes labels- anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment