Monday 19 December 2011

Design Production for Digital//Top 10//Music & Foley Art.


Starting to consider and develop research for music and (potentially) foley art to be used within my motion graphic designs- in both the ten second idents and the sixty second title sequence. 
For me, at the current stage, this has been quite difficult as the designs so vague- and although music/soundtrack will be applied before the motion graphics animation (to ensure timings are correct, etc), a visual outcome and storyboards will help to define the character of the designs much more vividly to match with the appropriate sound. Some general ideas and proposals for soundtrack/music have been linked below.


The original composition for the National Geographic Channel- the channel in which (Nat Geo Wild, it's sister channel!) I will propose my 'Top 10 Things...' programme to be broadcast onto. Although, of course, it would be fitting to the history of the channel it is a little too grand and "sophisticated" for my target audience and designs- something a little more playful and suited to my penguin subject matter would be far more effective.


A new version of the National Geographic Channel theme introduction- sounding far more Eastern in it's instruments influence. Whilst, again, not entirely appropriate, the animation and motion graphics at the beginning of the sequence has given me a good source of information and inspiration for existing designs on the channel.


Classic piano composition 'The Entertainer' would be a great piece of music to work with throughout my designs- with a distinctive, memorable and playful intro, and with a lot of segments to possible dissect and work with throughout- perhaps a faster tempo would be more effective to suit the speed of penguins tobogganing/swimming and waddling?


(Starting 1:25)- A reminder from the contemporary Aardman classic animation 'Chicken Run'- the song, 'Flip, Flop, Fly' from The Blues Brothers (and Chicken Run) soundtrack, lyrically, for the chorus, would be a great fit for my subject matter- however, it would need a considerable edit to blend intro/instrumental with the chorus- but definitely worth considering.


(Starting 0:38) Chuck Berry's 'Shake, Rattle & Roll' cover of Elvis' classic would be a great tempo for my subject matter and target audience, really lively, fun and upbeat- suited to the motion graphics speed that I am planning for my motion graphics piece- though I may need to consider a slower pace for my title sequence, though would be ideal for the short, ten second idents. Need to look into music editing software programmes and the possibilities of editing and cutting soundtracks for the final design outcomes- perhaps blend the chorus with a backing track?


Originally consider for the fast-tempo soundtrack style, but perhaps a little too retro/synth sounding for my subject matter- wouldn't be as fluid and organic a backing track as I would hope for my motion piece- a little too mechanical and produced.


Again, just a quick idea- but the intro to this song reminded me of glockenspiel music, light, playful percussion which would suit the youthful cheer of both my subject matter and target audience- but I don't know if I'd have enough to work with within the soundtrack itself- very lyrically heavy and not appropriate in that case, but it's given me a good platform for more idea generation.


Not necessarily a great example for suiting my subject matter/target audience- but an example of how effective instrumental soundtracks can be- I feel that anything lyrical would, potentially, be confusing with any text detail throughout the motion graphics outcomes, and would act as an emotively/enhancing device as opposed to acting as a distraction.


Again, not ideal- but another good example of how I can utilise soundtracks effectively with my vector-based motion graphic design work- the glockenspiel (would also work with xylophone) a very playful and child-like sound, which would suit both my target audience and subject matter well- need to source more examples of glockenspiel compositions- or perhaps work on recording my own for my final design outcomes?


A great compromise! The glockenspiel version of the classic composition 'The Entertainer'- great tempo and flourish on certain beats which could make for a really interesting and experimental motion graphics outcome- I'll be searching for sheet music/more examples of this track composition as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment