Monday 19 December 2011

Design Production for Digital//Top 10//Questionnaire.



A few days ago, I created a survey about penguins to try and gauge a wider opinion about the animal group- what people felt were distinctive features of penguins, their visual appearance, colour association, age association, etc, with some interesting, and very helpful results and feedback (as well as a good bit of banter to boot). Ideally, I would have liked to gauge some more responses in terms of numbers (18 doesn't give me a very broad base for opinion...) however, I understand it's a busy time of the year, and am generally happy with the results I achieved.

Below is an Issuu-document featuring screengrabs of the survey results, along with two sample charts generated from the survey monkey website- which I may later go on to develop in Illustrator for my own research and findings for my presentation on the return to University after the festive break in January.


RESULTS BREAKDOWN//

AGE//

As I suspected, the majority of people felt that 5-11 was the most appropriate "target audience" for penguin-based visual media.
This was the target audience I had initially considered for my motion graphics piece, so it's good to be reassured that this would be effective.

However, I was quite surprised at how even the results were- and that I could potentially cross age brackets and target audiences- great back up plan, but for now my target audience will be:

5-11 SCHOOL CHILDREN, MALE AND FEMALE, WITH AN INTEREST IN ANIMALS (ZOO/EXOTIC ANIMALS)

SPECIES OF PENGUIN//

One of the most simple and fundamental facts about penguins that I could incorporate into my motion graphic design- the seventeen varying species of penguin within the animal group- however, the survey feedback showed that whilst there was some knowledge of the variations, it was fairly limited- this is certainly something 
I could work upon.

HIGHLIGHT THE VARYING SPECIES OF PENGUINS SIMPLY- USE PICTORIAL VECTORS TO DISTINGUISH IN IMAGERY? BRING FORWARD AS A KEY FACT IN PRESENTATION, PROPOSAL BOARDS, ETC.

PENGUIN TRIVIA//

Aside from the humourous answers (gotta love it) the most common response is about the males incubating the egg- lots more potential to source, about regurgitation, they can't fly, they'll "never meet a polar bear"- basic trivia, but fun or unique information that will engage my specific target audience.

LOOK FOR FUN, PLAYFUL OR MEMORABLE FACTS CATERED FOR MY TARGET AUDIENCE (NB: NO LEOPARD SEALS EATING PENGUIN FACTS- BIT GRUESOME...)

FAVOURITE FEATURES OF PENGUINS// 

"The way they walk" is definitely the most common response- and one of the many reasons why people are so fond of the species- sweet, playful, endearing, and often funny, their "waddle" has been a source of many animations, documentaries and videos in the past- and will work wonderfully with my motion graphics piece.

PLAY UPON THE DISTINCT WALK, ALONG WITH MANY OTHER PENGUIN CHARACTERISTICS FOR MY MOTION GRAPHICS PIECE- DON'T BE OTT, BUT BE PLAYFUL.

WORD ASSOCIATION// 

Words included cold/snow/arctic, as well as many other cultural references to films/television and media.. a great deal and range to potentially work with.

START EXPLORING TYPOGRAPHIC/ILLUSTRATIVE LANGUAGE AND HOW MY MESSAGE AND DESIGN CAN BE PORTRAYED THROUGH MOTION GRAPHICS.

COLOUR ASSOCIATION//
Clear, obvious distinction of black, white, yellows and oranges- the natural choice for the iconic feathers and colouring of penguins- working with a subject so visually integrated within culture, I am sure will be very fun, but also a challenge.

START LOOKING AT VARIOUS COLOUR PALETTE, SPOT COLOURS, WEB SAFE COLOURS, ETC.

No comments:

Post a Comment