Thursday 5 April 2012

Design Practice II//Selecting a domain name.



Whilst trying to make decisions about selecting a domain name to purchase for the progression of the Design Practice II workshops (as well as for when my site, hopefully, goes live), I came up with a few simple ideas which I felt would be effective for my design portfolio. Inspired by the simplicity and effectiveness of using www.sophiewilson.com/.co.uk came from existing designers doing the same- the most direct way to search for a specific designer. Unfortunately, whilst searching for domain availability, both of these options were taken. Although I looked for contact information, in both circumstances it couldn't be found (As content for the website hasn't been published since 2008, I thought I could perhaps ask about legally purchasing the domain name), I will have to compromise, and have decided upon www.sophiewilsondesign.com/.co.uk.
I am looking to buy both of these domains within the next week- hopefully learning how to redirect the sites to one another, and so that I can solely own the 'sophie wilson design' name in terms of URL and search capability. 
Through popular online searches, I appear to be the only actively publishing Graphic Designer of my name (there are a few photographers in the UK), so "owning" this name through my domain name would be a really positive in terms of exposure and traffic on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment