Sunday 22 April 2012

Image//Image FMP//Designing poster II.



Moving along to the second image in my poster series, I wanted to ensure that I kept some of the visual themes and elements of my initial poster design, to keep a visual consistency and "brand" style between the posters, but to also make them be able to stand alone with their own conceptual development and design factors such as colours, gradients, textures, and overall content.


In this design, I was inspired by the final scene of the film in which the central character, Nina Sayers, jumps from the stage to a white fade out, as she reaches the climax of her schizophrenic state (in which she believes she is turning into the black swan). I used the silhouette of the ballerina within a spiral to represent the descent of madness, with the circle of feathers around the circle in a light %- dark % gradient, again, representing, the graduation of her personality change as she evolves into the black swan. 


I added the grainy texture and the black, grey and white colour palette to represent the grainy, dark cinematography and lighting used throughout the film (and in the majority of the director, Darren Aronofsky's filmography).


Quite happy with this design (big step for me- I'm my own worst critic at the best of times!), I think it represents the themes of the film well whilst still remaining conceptual and unique.

My design process and thinking can be seen in the images below.


No comments:

Post a Comment