Monday 23 April 2012

NEW BRIEF TASK(S) FOR EASTER



DESIGN PRACTICE II EASTER TASK


What I am interested in developing and how can I write a brief to adhere to this?
Categories to work on include:

* Publishing & Editorial
* Information & Wayfinding
* Branding & Identity
* Product & Packaging
* Retail & Promotion

- How do I combine these categories? Focus on ONE as a starting point, to then go on to cover a wide range of areas.

OVER EASTER

- RESEARCH these areas of work and make decisions and direction as to the design path I want to follow.
- Select a range of briefs, ONE FROM: D&AD, YCN, ISTD PLUS ONE OTHER BRIEF (ONLINE-PENGUIN??)



*****


Combined with my previous research into design briefs at the start of this module, and particularly looking at the YCN briefs, upon which Charlie and I both decided to follow the Graze brief, I will once again return to look at a variety of briefs to see how I can combine certain elements to most suit my needs and ambitions as a creative designer.


D&AD BRIEFS



http://www.dandad.org/awards/student/2012/categories



Having looked at the D&AD briefs at the start of the module, I am already reasonably familiar with them, and have read through and blogged initial briefs of interest. 


CHOSEN BRIEF


The one that really captured my imagination at the time, and still does now, is the 'Little White Lies' Illustrative/Magazine cover brief, in which they selected their top five films of the year to chose from to illustrate your own version of a cover for their magazine. 


As a film and illustration fan (as well as a fan of the magazine itself) this brief particularly appeals to me, although, having focused on the film 'Black Swan' for my self initiated six-week Image brief (of which the module hand in was today) to create a series of proposed film posters, I feel that I would really like to try something a little different, and this brief would consequently feel a little repetitive. However, it could easily be expanded to work with a more focus editorial illustration style, something which I am not all that familiar with (dabbling in it for a one week image brief) and would give me a good chance to expand my interests in illustrative design, along with potentially developing my typographic and layout skills also.


ISTD BRIEFS



http://assessment.istd.org.uk/2012_project_briefs

Although it took me quite a while to initially find the briefs (the ISTD website is like a labyrinth!) I was helpfully pointed in the right direction to the briefs, which were available to download through PDF format. Initially, I was a little intimidated by the briefs, as typography is certainly not a strong point in my portfolio, though it is certainly something that I would like to work on and improve, and feel as though the flexibility that this brief structure (for part II of Design Practice II) would be an ideal platform for that. Below, the briefs are posted, and I have highlighted the one which I think I would most happily work with.


CHOSEN BRIEF


The ISTD brief, "It happened on this day", was certainly the one that attracted my attention most readily. Two things in particular really appealed to me. First, the openeness of the brief- the fact that not only the direct subject matter was of your choosing, but also the deliverables are so unspecified, and that concept development could certainly be really fun and creative- two words that I directly aspire for my work, and my overall design portfolio to be. Also, the research element of the brief really inspires me. Unusually (comparative to the vast majority of the GD group!) I actually really enjoy the research process (I LOVE learning new things) and research for this design would be wonderfully extensive.


Really happy that I found a brief that I am excited about amongst ISTD, as it, generally, isn't a competition brief category that I would initially turn to (favouring Penguin, D&AD, and YCN). However, I would still like to work with something a little more illustrative, so perhaps I will take the research and "openness" of this brief as a source of inspiration for my own brief conceptualisation and development.


YCN BRIEFS



http://education.ycnonline.com/briefs/


All too familiar with the YCN briefs after working with them for the first part of the Design Practice II module, working in collaboration with my partner, Charlie. This was a really interesting opportunity to go back to the design briefs, and now, with hindsight, and the examples of the works of others for inspiration, be able to see the outcomes that they achieved, and how I could use their designs as a source of inspiration for my own.


CHOSEN BRIEF



I certainly found myself quite torn between a few of these briefs, inspired by the brilliant outcomes from others that I saw, but I eventually decided to focus on the Fedrigoni brief (perhaps a controversial choice!). When it crit groups with other collaborative designers, I often heard that the Fedrigoni brief was particularly challenging, and confusing, perhaps the brief itself not being all that well written. However, it is perhaps this that is driving me to want to work towards it all the more. 

Having recently gone down to the Fedrigoni showroom in London, and having discussions with the staff, as well as seeing their extensive range of print (for both clients and in house designs), I certainly feel more comfortable and familiar with the company than I did at the start of the module a few months ago, as well as having developed a deeper interesting and understanding of both stock and the printing process.

As a lover of print, paper, and colour, Fedrigoni now seems like a natural choice for my selection from the range of YCN briefs. Again, not ideal in terms of the boundaries, constraints and limitations of the brief, but again, I could certainly take some of the aspects of the requirements to use in my own concept development.

PENGUIN BRIEFS



http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/minisites/penguindesignaward/puffin_brief.php


The briefs of my dreams! It's no secret that Penguin is one of my *ultimate dream* companies to work for (and, consequently, have applied for work experience placements manya time...I will never give up!), so the opportunity to create a proposed design brief outcome for them would be a fantastic opportunity. Unfortunately, I missed the deadline for this brief, however, it will undoubtedly inspire my own concept development and brief writing, as really, everything about both the adult prize and the Puffin children's prize are adhered to everything I aspire to do in my own design practice (working particularly with children's literature illustrations and book cover designs- with a real passion for literature, education and culture).



CHOSEN BRIEF


From the two briefs delivered by Penguin, though both of real interest (the two chosen books just happen to be two of my all-time favourites...), I feel that the Puffin competition would be perfect. Over the Easter break, as part of my design a day self initiated brief, I started drawing fairy tale cartoon characters in a minimal illustrative design format (see my example with Ariel of 'The Little Mermaid' below)- it was meant to be! 


After finding a beautiful gold leaf cover edition of The Brother's Grimm Fairy Tales collection around two years ago, the book has been one of my all-time favourites, with the beautifully written stories that are often haunting and dark (unlike the modern day Disney-fied versions...) and could really open the opportunity to create some beautiful illustrative designs, as well as developing my illustrative type, something of which I have grown really interested in since experimenting with in our one-week image brief. 


However, my only real issue with the brief is the extent to which is is so restrictive. Realistically, this project could be achieved in a day or two to a reasonably high standard, and for a five week brief, for which this second half of Design Practice II is, I would want to work on something far more substantial. However, this is a great starting block, and has really given me inspiration.




GRAPHIC COMPETITIONS


http://www.graphiccompetitions.com/
http://www.graphiccompetitions.com/illustration/moonbeam-childrens-book-awards-2012
http://www.graphiccompetitions.com/multiple-disciplines/supremebeing-infographics-competition


Searching outside of the more standard student Graphic Design competitions, I searched a little further afield, and took inspiration from my research at the start of the module by returning to the 'Graphic Competitions' website. Although I liked a few of the briefs I found, few really captured my imagination, or got me excited, although, fortunately, I found a couple of exceptions to this, as shown below.



Although by no means ideal, I believe that the brief I most effectively engaged with from the Graphic Competitions series was the Supreme Being Infographic competition, due to my love of bold, vector-based infographic designs.
However, I feel that this brief in particular is very vague and a little too open for my liking- therefore, I imagine, taking the least amount of inspiration from this brief as I go on to create my own concept development.


BRIEF SELECTION SUMMARY:


D&AD: LITTLE WHITE LIES
ISTD: IT HAPPENED ON THIS DAY
YCN: FEDRIGONI
PENGUIN DESIGN AWARD 2012: PUFFIN CHILDREN'S PRIZE (BROTHER'S GRIMM BOOK COVER)
GRAPHIC  COMPETITIONS: SUPREME BEING INFOGRAPHICS COMPETITION


***


POTENTIAL BRIEF CONCEPT:


PUBLISHING & EDITORIAL
RETAIL & PROMOTION


Largely inspired by the Puffin/Penguin children's design brief, create a range of illustrative designs to attract new audiences to the classic Grimm Brother's Fairy Tale collection- creating a stylish and contemporary design to encourage parents to read to their children, yet ensure that the books look beautiful in their homes to also act as a collector's edition or coffee table book.
I will also create a promotional design for the retail sale of the book series which will visually communicate the themes and style of the book series which works in a variety of environments such as outdoor advertising, mail outs, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment