Friday 13 April 2012

Image//Image FMP//Reasoning with Black Swan.



As my re-written brief shows, I have moved on from The Academy Awards to focusing on just one film (as opposed to 84ish...) for a much more condensed and focused brief, which, hopefully, will prove far more inspiring in terms of my design practice.


I chose to work with Black Swan for a variety of reasons. As a fairly recent film, people are still engaging with it, and have a clear memory of the narrative (which will help in terms of the visual communication and conceptual development, as well as gaining the opinions of others) as well as a particular interest for me.


Despite never having the opportunity to do ballet when I was younger (I put it down to my Mum having health issues as a result to ballet when she was a child), it has always been an art form that has interested me, and something that I have always enjoyed watching. 


When I started art and design aged fifteen, the first drawing I was ever proud of was of Russian ballet dancer, Nureyev, and the love for ballet has grown ever since- 'The Red Shoes' (the adaption of Hans Christen Anderson's classic story about a ballerina possessed by a pain of red ballet shoes that she can't take off, and they make her dance forever) being one of my all time favourites.


Perhaps because of this, in the entire list of films hi-lighted in my Academy Awards list, Black Swan was one that really stood out for me- much like The Red Shoes with the psychological, dark themes, but on a much more primitive level- Black Swan is a film hard to forget.


Also, as the ballet that Black Swan is based upon, Swan Lake, was created by Russian composer Tchaikovsky, will give me an opportunity to research and develop an Eastern European Graphic style (a particular favourite of mine)- so lots of themes I am really interested in, and look forward to getting my teeth stuck into!

No comments:

Post a Comment