Wednesday 17 November 2010

Alphabet Soup 10 letterforms: Revisited.








After being initially a little dissapointed with my results I achieved in the original 'Alphabet Soup' task, I have decided to re-visit the project in hope that I can create something more appropriate to the brief, as oppossed to the over-complicated and perhaps too elaborate designs (based on themes of "division through science") that I had previously made.

I have gone onto adobe illustrator, and have created a range of samples to communicate the word 'divide'- using techniques and methods such as puckering, bloating, kerning, angle, and weight of line to experiment with the letterform.

I have stuck to the 'H' in the Century Schoolbook typeface that I originally chose as my initial response to the word 'division' was of quite an academic theme (as I previously explored)- and this serif font reminds me of textbooks and singage from my schooldays.

Although many were very experimental in this revisiting design process, I have actually found myself preferring the far more minimal and clear designs- perhaps because they work so much more with the traditionality in the style of the font.

For my ten re-designs, I have chosen these letterforms: (uppercase century schoolbook 'H' with white line through the centre- increasing in multiples of three each time).


I have chosen these because, not only are they simple, but they explore weight of lines, and although at some points removing an entire crossbar in the 'H', the other anatomical features are still strong enough to be recognisable within the series.

I will go on to re-design one more time before applying the series of ten letterforms to A6 format (and then hand-rendering them by trace) to ensure that the weight of line and edges and neat and paralell, and therefore, be able to achieve a far crisper, and easier to interpret series selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment