Friday 19 November 2010

End of Module Self-Evaluation.


Module Code: OUDG101
Module Title: Design Principles

End of module self-evaluation.

Name: Sophie Wilson

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Although I know I will always be critical of my work (and rightly so!), I must admit that I am astounded at just how much I have learnt through this module so far. Before I enrolled on this course, graphics, admittedly, was fairly new to me in terms of practice and theory especially- I had no idea how to use specific graphics-orientated software, such as adobe illustrator, and had never learnt the basic anatomical features of typography. Through these past two months I have learnt more about this practice than I learnt throughout my entire two years at college.

One of the most valuable things I have come to learn and practice is the direct, industry-influenced deadlines and projects set- never before having week, or two week projects (they would, in the past, have been at least a couple of months!)- i have definately begun to understand and appreciate how important time management is in this field of work, and not only practice this, but now anticipate it- I have begun to really enjoy the challenge of this time management pressure, and although my outcomes have not always been as successful as I would have liked, I can definately say that I have learnt something from them, and this is really helping me to develop my work.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I feel that I have really broadend my outlook and view on design- now, more than ever, I am on a constant look-out for design and craft- developing a personal taste, through my design context blog, and everyday life, and am always evaluating what colours work, which don't- it now feels like a second nature!

I have always enjoyed the research process- discovering new designers, scouring through back-editions of magazines, and reading up in library chronologies, so for me, this particular area of study is certainly a pleasure and not a pain!

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capatalise on these?

I think my determination and comittment is one of my greatest strengths with the quantity of work I produce- although I will undoubtedly always feel that there is something more I could have done, always a design experimentation that I didn't quite have time to do, I feel very pleased with my perseverance in my projects, and I hope that my skills experience will soon catch-up, and therefore, follow suit.

4. What weaknesses can you identify and how will you address these more fully?

As aforementioned above, I think that my greatest weakness is the quality of work I produce. Although I of course try my hardest at all times in the final product(s) that I create, I certainly feel that my experience of software is lacking in comparison to the rest of my form group. I have taken certain steps towards ammending this, such as personal sessions on the adobe illustrator workshop, teaching myself a vast amount of what I now know, and these sessions, and personal practice have made me feel a lot more confident with my future progress, and I hope that this feeling continues, and becomes evident within my work.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time, and what you will expect to gain from doing these?

1. Consider and plan my processes before I persue them: I have found myself "re-visiting" a lot of design ideas mid-way through projects- if I give more consideration at the start, this will save a lot of time in the long run.
2. Practice my software skills: Practice during any free time I will have to develop a deeper understand and practice, again, this will definately prove a time-saver in the long run.
3. Develop more of a self-evaluation throughout my projects: this will help me to realise problems at an earlier stage, and be able to produce a higher quanity and quality of work within the resolutions. 
4. Experiment more with methods and techniques- both in practice and free time, to develop and understand what I believe to be a personal style, and to gain experience of all the processes available.
5. Develop work directly inspired by others: whether it's a personal like or dislike, this will give me a much wider view of the practice and tastes in graphic design, and help to keep my mind more unbiased and open to new ideas and aesthetics.

6. How would you grace yourself on the following areas? :

5= excellent
4= very good
3= good
2= average
1= poor

Attendance: 4
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 5
Quantity of work produced: 4
Quality of work produced: 3
Contribution to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment