Sunday 6 February 2011

Book Design and Layout.


After deciding the format for my product (a 100mmx100mm pocket-size illustrative "guide") I experimented with crafting various styles of book...


...First of all, I made a perfect-bind book (see above)...


As what happened during my book binding workshop, I found, that once I had sewn my pages together at the book's spine, the pages were a slightest bit uneven- with some pages slightly longer or shorter than the front cover. As I had not catered for any measurement which I may have needed to trim down, the book ended up being poorly measured, which of course, would seriously affect my designs in final production (see book above, left). 

I then went onto produce another perfect bind, this time with a little more care, and the measurements were far more acurate (see book above, right). 


However, with the minimal tools available to me at the time, sewing the spine together through such a density of paper was difficult, and the bind looked less than perfect!


...I then went on to produce a concertina fold book, which I found a lot more successfully, particularly, this time, using double sided tape to bind the pages as opposed to the PVA glue we used in the book binding workshop (which proved to be a little messy and unpredictable!)


The finished concertina folded book- with twenty-five pages, I felt that this was more than enough pages for one book. If I were to persue my originial intention of creating a 100-page book, it would have been ridiculously long when extended fully, and far more fragile that it's purpose intends it to be. 




The only down-size of using the double-sided tape was that you have to be extremely accurate when using it, as it is so strongly binding. Therefore, on this first attempt, the book was slightly skewiff, creating more of a paralellogram shape than a sqaure! Although the book was adequate, I will definately require more practice before I craft my final piece.


Along with another cream page book made, this was my final afternoon's work... (see above).
 

After alphabetising all of the one-hundred moustached celebrities I would like to feature in my book, I arranged them in a format of how my concertina book would look like, and how I would print my pages and page spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment