Sunday 6 February 2011

Book Words: Design Process and Ideas.


Beginning to explore different langauges and ways to say 'I love you'- literally, and playfully.
Examples so far...

"我爱你。"-traditional Chinese 'I love you.'
"Jeg elsker dig"- Danish 'I love you.'
"Ik houd van u"- Dutch 'I love you.'
 "je t'aime"- French 'I love you.' 
"ich leibe dich"- German, 'I love you.'
"σας αγαπώ"- Greek, 'I love you.'
"Szeretem"- Hungarian, 'I love you.'
"ti amo"- Itlian, 'I love you.'
"私は愛する。"- Japanese, 'I love you.'
"사랑해요."- Korean, 'I love you.'
"Jeg elsher deg"- Norweigan, 'I love you.'
"eu te amo"- Portuguese, 'I love you.'
'Te iubesc"- Romanian, 'I love you.'
"я тебя люблю."- Russian, 'I love you.'
"te quiero."- Spanish, 'I love you.'

and a few more playful additions to consider...

"I golden dove ya!"- Cockney Rhyming Slang, LDN, UK.
"Love is too weak a word for what I feel- I luuurve you, I loave you, I luff you"- Woodey Allen-ish (From 'Annie Hall'), NY, USA- International English Derivative.
"I love you even when you're sick and look disgusting"- Love Actually.
"I like you very much. Just as you are"- Bridget Jones's Diary.

I really like the idea of combining the humourous elements with the more sentimental- what an all-rounded love, I believe, should be- time to experiment with different styles, layouts and designs for my hot dog fold booklet..


Inspired by this picture I decided to go on to create some of my own quick papercut mapped hearts...
(cut from a collection of 'Vintage Map' Postcards bought at Waterstones earlier this year, made by Cavallini & Co.)


If I cut out the heart from a map, then the country itself is self explanatory- whilst encased in the heart representing the love- simply for me to write the translation, and possibly other notes, such as pronounciation etc. 

Possibly more heartfelt with the handmade feel? Definately worth experimenting with, applying typography to it, etc. Within the next few days I will explore charity shops for old maps to use towards my work.

Other Considerations:

-Possibly also design a vectored world map? Less intimate, but perhaps more concise and more easily distinguished.

No comments:

Post a Comment