Sunday 6 February 2011

Collection 100: Packaging Design.







Creating belly bind's to wrap around my four concertina-bind books- again, a continuity in my design, with white type and image to lighten the purple background. Printing in various sizes to test the aesthetic when wrapped around the books.




I then went onto design the net for a presentational box, to act as packaging for my four concertina book products. I kept the repeated pattern for the inside of the box, to add a luxurious feel, almost like a wallpaper lining- but on the outside I wanted something a little bolder, and more dramatic- therefore, I chose a reversed- out black and white net.



After constructing the net, I was dissapointed to see how fragile the box was- the matt paper, along with the black ink caused any fingerprints or slight imperfections to be incredibly obvious- and as a tactile, hand-held product, this would be completely unsuitable.


Despite not being as acurate as I would have liked when measuring and bonding my net together, I really liked the effect of having the print on the inside- I feel that this would give it a far higher-quality aesthetic than the plain white card would have otherwise done.
 

Cutting out the moustache on top of the box to add as a "peep hole" for the product inside, as well as easing the lift of the box lid by pulling your hand through it....



...I really liked the peep hole effect, but along with the difficulties I faced in regards to the fingerprint marks and blemishes, cutting the moustache proved very difficult, as the original white colour of the box (and the colour beneath) was revealed, and massively highlighted any cutting flaws from the printed black card. 

Time to re-assess... 



I decided to print both the inside and outside of my net in the purple tone, as I felt that this would be more sucessful in terms of handling and aesthetic longevity- as well as keeping a stronger consistency within the design and colour scheme.


The collection thus far- presentation box, half-made pt. 1 book, and varying belly binds.

No comments:

Post a Comment