Monday 28 February 2011

Design Ideas: Life.


Initial Ideas and Experimentations into the concept and aesthetic representation of life through design...


Butterflies, symbolic of "re-birth" and grace, freedom and spirituality.
A simple design, but I think effective in conveying my theme, however, I'm not sure how I would integrate it into a poster design?
Potential for further development. 


Experimenting with gradients- as the 'life' gets brighter (an increased number on the opacity scale) it represents the emergence into life- it gets brighter, better and you become the best version of yourself with each new year of learning, experience and wisdom.


The same gradient experiment as before, but this time introducing motion to my type by overlapping- I quite like this design- subtle but clear- life travels quickly- and then stops abrubtly.

Another vartiation on the "development of life"- a swoop down, increasing kerning the lower down the list. Again, I like the idea, but the excercution is not half as good as it could be- it feels a little too self-aware- I think that the kerning would need to be decreased and a little less obvious- the transition of condense to widley-kerned is too great in this design.


...A little more subtle, and far more suitable spacing, however, it doesn't feel "quite right" yet- a little too bland and safe.


...Such a simple edit, yet I much prefer this design to the previous two; combining methods in previous experimentations.


...Experimenting with the application of colour- increasing the percentage of the opacity as the 'life' list travel through the colours of the spectrum- intensifying in the depth of colour as the kerning increases- fitting to the concept that "as life, and you, grow- life gets more colourful."

Again, I feel that the concept was far stronger than the execution- feeling that this style looked a little too simplistic and child-like.
If I were to pursue this design idea, I think that the typeface would be far more effective in sans serif- looking less confused and far more bold and modern.



...Another simple edit, on this occasion using the bloat tool to manipulate the shape of my O's in 'BLOOM'. I originally edited the entirety of the design, but it looked far too over-done and processed. I think that this simplistic style was far more suitable- but could certainly benefit from a few more flourishes.


Although I feel that I have a slight insight into the development of my 'life' designs, I know that I will need to develop my ideas a great deal more before I can cement a final design outcome.
To resolve this confusion, I will now go on to draw further thumbnail designs (to go toward my thirty thumbnail designs- a mandatory requirement for this project) to generate more ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment