Wednesday 16 February 2011

Book Works Development.


After weeks of technical difficults, I am pleased to finally be able to blog my inital sketch up design for my hot dog fold book- my first design sample which will undoubtedly need a few tweaks (in this design I had not specified particular languages, countries, etc...), though the idea can generally be visualled...

 The inside pages reveal close-up illustrations of the country of the languages origin, the translation for "i love you", the phonetic speech translation and countries where the language is spoken...


The inside of the hot dog fold- an A3 poster spread of the world map with a "love heart" key- distinguishing the eight particular languages- and which countries have this as their first language, in different translations of the phrase "i love you".

After mapping each country from the eight languages I have selected, I went to purchase a world map to trace from (to then scan into Illustrator and develop it's layout and design)- originally thinking, when wrapped up in the shop, this was an A2 format, I was happy (if a little shocked) to see it was infact an A0 size- thank goodness for the living room floorspace...


Refrencing each of the countries from my google earth screenshots, as well as reference points of the map itself, I have grouped each of the country's first langauges by a sticker reference key.

English= Red Circle
French= Blue Circle
Italian= Green Circle
Spanish= Yellow Circle
Russian= White Star
Portuguese= Orange Circle
Mandarin= White Circle
Bangladeshi= White Square


It was great to see all of the countries mapped out- I found it really fascinating having to scour for countries that I never even knew exsisted- tiny islands in the pacific- the exact locations of exotic climates- this is so much more than just a graphics degree!..


Again, it was really interesting to see the weird and wonderful distribution of langauges over the world- many of which were backed up by historical fact (the British Empire, for example, influencing the dialect of many African and Asian countires)- though some seemed rather unusual- such as the Portuguese dialect spoken in the region of Macau in China (the curious knowledge-hungry person that I am, I know that I'll have to find out why this is now!)- see image above... 


Distribution of languages in Europe...


...The distribution of languages in Southern America.


I then went on to trace over the designs over a series of three sheets of A2 tracing paper. I chose this method, as after various internet searches the maps that I could have developed and traced from online sources wern't as clear and informative as I would have hoped- I wanted to ensure that I got every minute detail and tiny island in the image- as I feel, for selling as a "travel guide" to the public it is my responsibility to represent all nations and nationalities on the map- no matter how great or small.
However, this method took surprisingly little time, and I was very pleased with the finished results...


I will now go on to scale and align these images in Illustrator to design my hot dog fold, complete with info graphics, vector illustrations, and text.

POINTS TO CONSIDER:
-Format: A3 landscape.
-Stock: Off-white cartridge paper- sophisticated tactile, bright and nostalgic of stationary- thinking love letters, journal enteries and other intimacies connected with love.
-Interaction: Translation guide and map.
-Image or text, or both?: Both.

No comments:

Post a Comment