Monday 14 February 2011

Further Product Development.


As a promotional tool alongside my swatch book, I decided to create several other products to act as a resolution to the "which moustache suits me?"/"know before you grow" option- a barber's kit for the pre and post- moustache grooming and styling session.
First of all, I created a wall chart of the moustache styles- with all the 100 vectors with corresponding numbers, and their names beneath (see picture below). I went through many stages of development (though sadly, for technical reasons am unable to upload the screenshots) or creating a griding system on the Illustrator programme- originally planning a 10x10 sqaure grid style- but found this too bulky and bland, so went for a simple yet effective layout structure alternative. 

In regards to the text below, I also attempted many different compositions- right alignment, left alignement, centre alignment- the numbers centre aligned with the text left aligned, but found that the numbers and words looked best when both left aligned- creating a structure to the page, without looking too crowded or busy- so as not to compete with the design of the moustaches.



I will go on to print this is a variety of sizes and stocks, with the hope to finally submit a design in A2/A1 size for the module hand in date.

I then went on to expand my consideration for other products. One of my favourite ideas from my initial designs was to create "I'm a proud member of..." stickers- a bit like the magical nostalgia of recieving a sticker after being "a brave boy" at the dentist- these stickers would be "awarded" when styled with a moustache from the "know before you grow" 100- to wear with pride (and an abundance of style, obviously).
Using the "Cornish Pasty" style- I experiemented with a few different layouts for my type (the font 'century schoolbook' italic the same as that on my poster)- my favourite being the style on the second down on the left- following the curved line of the circular sticker...





Due to financial and time restraints, I have decided against printing these stickers (although I had the sticker paper at the ready!)- although I really do like the concept, and would love to persue it within a personal project in the close future.

Another concept which I have developed, but unfortunately will not persue in terms of printing, are the idea of "moustache cards"- a go-between from the actetae "cut-out-and-keep" pages to the barber- incase you were to loose the moustache, and with a handy "hints and tips" section to the barber- with support and guidance as to how they would achieve the style.




(Above) A selection of moustache cards made for the series- again, it's dissapointing that time and finances restrain me from printing the set, but, at least, I am glad that I got to this design stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment