Wednesday 27 April 2011

Speaking from experience: Limericks.


I decided to have a quick go at writing some poetry to potentially take forward for the 'speaking from experience' project- perhaps recording as sound bites and developing into a video or animation. With a moment of inspiraiton, I decided to write quick odes to tutors Fred and Amber...

If there’s one thing to know about fred-
Don’t arrive late or you will dread
The guilt and the grief,
For missing the brief-
With the certain threat to go,
Unless you buy him a packet of haribo.

Although it was a very quick two-minute piece it wasn't quite right, and I felt that it needed the structure of the traditional AABBA structure to make the rhymic beat "bounce" more (as limericks have a tendancy to be boppy, and roll off the tongue)...though getting that bit in about haribo was obviously essential...

If there’s one thing to know about amber-
She’s a sucker for many a terrier,
Poodles, Collies and Setter-
No animal is better,
But her favourite’s the golden retriever.

No proof that Amber's favourite pooch is a golden retriver- but heck, for the sake of a two-minute limerick, I hope I shall be forgiven if I am wrong! I think with the rhymic structure this one worked much better, and although very simple, they were quite fun to put together. 

Perhaps, If I were to continue with this for my brief I could get people to write down their experiences on a certain theme (people from the course, that is) then transform them into limericks for a video on animation piece...fun experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment