Tuesday 12 April 2011

What is a line?: Choosing/Creating a typeface.



I have begun to revise typefaces which I feel would be most appropriate alongside my images for the 'what is a line?' constellations project. Originally, I had contemplated creating my own typeface- though knew with little experience it would be useful to work from an existing typeface as a "guide".

I found three I thought would particularly work well with the crisp, informative and screenprinted style of my designs, with modern sans serif typefaces-

Helvetica
Geo Sans Light (Light and Oblique) by Manfred Klein from www.dafont.com (basic and sans serif)
Times San Serif by Mundo da Lu from www.dafont.com (basic and sans serif)

Experimenting with layout and type case, I thought that Geo Sans Light worked particularly well- and began adding simple flourishes (see above). 

Originally, I wanted to emulate the style of the constellations- with circular points at the connecting areas, though the kerning was restricted with this typeface- and therefore, would potentially look quite messy, or take an incredibly long time to align the text- therefore, not necessarily being as clear as I would like.

I have decided, for purposes of legibility and readability, to keep the typeface intact- using the regular uppercase for titles, and medium italic lowercase/uppercase for further details throughout my designs.


Currently, titlecase/uppercase regular and medium light lowercase look the best...experiments and designs to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment