Monday 18 April 2011

What is a line?: Star Maps.


Inspired by the star maps featured in one of my favourite book sources for this project, the Philips star guide, (see my design context blog, http://www.s-wilson1013.dc.blogspot.com/ for further reference!)- I decided to create my own star map guides in correlation with my design style for this project- highlighting the view of the night sky and constellations each month, upon both the northern and southern hemisphere.
I originally drew the images small scale, with six months on either side of a black A3 piece of card, and then went on to enlarge the diagrams- each month on a seperate A4 sheet, with my newly revised dot-constellation style (as opposed to my original 'x's' design). Unfortunately, due to difficulty in locating the exact same stock, a couple of my designs are on slightly darker paper- a slightly bother to my perfecitonist manner, but hopefully not too much of a problem for submission.

Overall, I prefer the scaling of the 6xA3 sheet, but of course, the larger scale has it's practicalities, and was far easier to hand-render. Ideally, I would have liked to have screenprinted the designs, but time and financial contraints have unfortunately held me back. Despite this, I am reasonably pleased with the outcome, and the time I managed to produce them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment