Monday 11 April 2011

What is a line?: Layouts.




Although my designs unfortunately haven't had the oppurtunity to develop a great deal in the past few days (this will, of course, be ammended very shortly!), I have started to think of potential forms and layouts each of my designs could take. Currently, I am considering making an "amateur observers" constellation pocket guide to the eighty-eight constellations along with wall chart posters of the twelve month sky charts- upon which constellations you see when standing at either the northern or southern hemisphere.
Underneath each of the vector diagrams are the pros and cons behind each potential layout (these layouts are ones I have finalised and feel may be appropriate solutions).

-Creating a hot dog book (with a front and back cover) would allow six pages= 6 constellations per hot dog fold booklet. 88 constellations/6= 14.66 books- would result in widowing and high costs in screen exposures.
Adding the 12 star maps= 100, still, not equally divisible.
-Concertina. As I have decided to use an A6 format for each of my constellation image and information page (a size which I used for a previous brief in which I created hot dog fold booklets 'The ways to say I love you'- and found this a really hand pocket size that I would like to revisit and work with again). To create the 88 constellations + front and back page (at least)= 90 pages. 90x (105mmx148) dimensions of a6= 9450mmx13320mm/945cmx13320cm. For me, this measurement is far too long and would result in a really thick book. As I want to avoid, if possible, breaking the book down into editions pamphlet stitch seems like the best, as well as most clear and concise option. Of course, if necessary, and time permitting, I will experiment with the other options- but for now, postcards/posters/pamphlet stitch are my first call for my design layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment