Thursday 14 April 2011

What is a line?: Screenprints.



Today, I spent around five hours in the screenprinting studios- preparing, coating, exposing and printing a screen to print my zodiac series (which I then intended to go on to hole punch to photograph the light shining through the "stars").
Despite screenpriting before, individually at college, and as part of a group at University, I found the process of exposing for the first time rather long and slightly confusing (luckily I had staff around who kindly assisted me)- an unusual state to be in, with a lot of waiting around for screens to dry, etc, as I am usually very busy, constantly working on projects, and so on.

Although I know that with practice, my technique and prints were improving greatly, I felt a little dissapointed with the prints- not as crisp or sharp as I would have hoped- the metallic silver powder ink a little too "dusty". Although some worked well, I have decided to refrain from continuing the rest of the project in the screenprinted technique- due to financial and time constraints.

With limited options, and the continued desire to produce images and designs which are silver on black, I have decided to hand-render my booklet, posters, etc with the hope that my practice at the beginning of this project, and my scripture hand writing (and stencils!) will help me to produce a neat, crisp design series.

No comments:

Post a Comment