Wednesday 6 April 2011

What Is A Line?: Astrolight Star Projector.


All photographs SOOC, taken with a Canon EOS 350D DSLR with standard 18-55mm lens- 
no flash auto mode.


Spending the evening playing around and photographing my favourite "gadget" my astrolight star projector- a small LED nightlight with a galaxy-esque pattern printed onto the projector film, and when lit, radiates a night sky across your walls.

I really enjoyed the short experimentation- playing around with distances and sizing- looking at how the shapes and perspectives of the projector changed with each slight twist or alteration- the closer to the wall, the more condensed the pattern, the further away, the more sparadic.

From this, I have been inspired to create more outlandish and experimental designs- even if they are not used in my final pieces (they won't necessarily answer the infographics style I originally set out to achieve) it will definately help to open up my more creative side- creating a "dot-to-dot" like pattern, and my own constellation patterns.

Also, this has inspired me to expand my primary research not only to photographing the starry night sky (still unfortunately waiting for one- when I'm back home in the country I should have more luck!), but also travelling to the thinktank planetarium in Birmingham (about an hour away from my half-term home!) to take more detailed and informative images!

No comments:

Post a Comment