Thursday 21 April 2011

What is a line?: Final book design.



Text stencil proving itself to be a little too large- even on the smallest scale.


The hand rendered constellations, before connected with the lines (that are so integral to this 'what is a line?' brief!)

Due to several unforseen circumstances throughout the design process, I have had to alter my designs and idea process many times. Originally, I wanted to make my informative constellations guide with silver print on black card from screenprint, though in my practice of this I was disastisfied with the results.

Consequently, I went on to hand draw the designs- though feel that these aren't quite right either. The hand drawn constellations have worked okay, though due to the width of the pen nibs and letter stencils I have been using (particularly with the star maps, blogged previously on this design practice blog), I feel as though all the detail that I wanted, the basic statistics of the constellation, and a brief history, will be lost. As the brief stated, I really wanted this book to be informative- and although the constellations alone would produce an aesthetically pleasing piece, it would not fufil the brief fully.

Therefore, I have decided to use the black book layout, but instead print my vector constellation designs (it also felt like a shame to waste the effort I had applied to these designs) onto a cream textured stock, and then stick this within the book.

Despite not being the aesthetic I had originally hoped and planned for, it will, hopefully, comply to the brief with context and layout design- if not the production. Pictures to be posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment