Tuesday 12 April 2011

What is a line?: Booklet design layout.



Creating an aesthetic and design layout for my informative constellation pocket guidebook.
Sadly, as my InDesign software is currently having problems, I am designing on Adobe Illustrator. Of course, this isn't ideal- though I hope to be as accurate as possible. Although I would like to wait until the InDesign programme is fully active again, I have concerns over time constraints that the project holds and would rather avoid any potential manic rush to complete the tasks and design outcomes.
Here, in the images above, I have experimented with composition and layout- whether to have a perforated edge or not (as a cut-out-and-keep-guide)...though finalised on the idea posted at the bottom- showing an example of pages 4 and 5 in a DPS- the image of the constellation centrally-aligned, with the text either flush left or right- dependant on the side of the DPS they are posted onto- maintaining interest and movement throughout the book, and the most readible outcome- avoiding text being lost in margins, etc.

The information I have decided to print below the image includes: 
-Name
-Name Abbreviation
-Size Ranking
-When the constellation is most noticeable in the sky
-A brief history of the name/meaning of the constellation

I feel these small details will help to gauge more of an understanding and help the amateur astronomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment