Friday 4 March 2011

Final Crit Feedback.


Before our feedback crit session began, we started to look at our own work and considered whether the time and effort we had put into our work was evident in the outcome. I broke down my total time spent on the project for each day and then calculated my total time spent from monday pm- friday am (the longevity of the project)...
monday- 5 hours
tuesday- 9 hours
wednesday- 15 hours
thursday- 8 hours
friday- 2 hours

= 39 hours this week
I was quite surprised to see just how much I had worked on the project- though the sleepless nights were now clearly documented on paper- as well as my tired eyes!

It was shocking to then discover, as Amber and Jo revealed to us that the average graphic design graduate working professionally within the industry makes an average of £150...per hour.
Wow. I thought £5 would cover it...


This morning, in preperation for the crit, I managed to print out my designs onto A3 acetate (to which I then placed a sheet of A3 cartridge paper behind to ease readibility). I was quite pleased with the designs- looking clean-cut and slightly clinical (fitting to my medical-like theme), however, I had a few problems when printing them out. Fortunately, I had done some test prints before I printed in the digital print room (digital pricey room!) and the opacity of my reverse image (for instance, the rib cage on the 'life' poster) was just too pale, and wasn't printing out- therefore, I had to increase the opacity to 75%- so this comprimise made the images look very similar- not really what I was going for, so I think this may have added to the confusion later on in my crit session...


(30 thumbnail sketches for design ideas- less than a minute spent on each- spontaneous thoughts, spontaneous doodles.)

(apologises for the gloomy photos- summer cannot come quick enough!)

THE FINAL CRIT
In the crit I presented my three designs to the rest of the group, and was pleased to get a general good response- people liked the theory and concept behind it, though, suggested I make a few alterations to make my ideas and design more easily read.

Jo was a little more honest (?) and gave me lots of criticism to work from, though, again, liked the thought process and the concept of the quotes, so at least the starting point wasn't too unsuitable. 
POINTS TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION FOR RE-DESIGN/ SUGGESTIONS:

*Seperate the lungs and ribs in the images- look too similar.
*Third poster doesn't seem to have any purpose or design consideration (life&death)- perhaps a simple quote typographic poster would be more effective?
*Be simpler- less fuss.
*Suggestion to print on cartridge. Many liked the acetate I had printed onto, though I know it was not a necessity- experiment with stock.
*Swap around the point sizes of the text as image quotes and the names of the quoters- the hierarchy of text is misleading and distracts from the main focus.


I will now go on to make these alterations to create a final design outcome to submit to the competition and have complete for the project presentation on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment