Tuesday 11 October 2011

Design Production for Print//Packaging Design Task.



My one-week University project to construct and design packaging in specification to given net designs, in correspondence to a chosen theme 'The Films of Wes Anderson'.
 
To give more context to my project, I created a hypothetical film screen of Wes Anderson's 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' as part of a Wes Anderson/Jacques Costeau Film Festival- which fitted the nautical nature of the logo design originally chosen- and although connected to Wes' films, admittedly, however, by a tenuous link.

Designs include OST CD case and CD mock up design, Invitation and Invitation Wallet, Screening Permit and Screening Permit Wallet, Stickers, and 'Ping Island Mineral Spring Water' bottle holder.

A fun project, with a great deal I could improve and expand upon. 
I in fact much prefer the ticket and photographic designs to my own- to me, they have a little more originality and style. However, I do feel that the packaging suits my chosen theme, and represents the nautical connotations and theme well- the stripes (life rings, sailor shirts, lighthouses) and iconic white and blue colour combination. 

I have never really had the opportunity to experiment or work with packaging design much in the past, so this has been a really interesting experiment. Our critique workshop of our designs is being held tomorrow morning, so I look forward to hearing some other points of view and opinions. 

IMPORTANT DETAILS:
* Stickers, Nets, and Envelope window would all, in a professional print, be cut with a die cut stamp. 
* Elements of the white (throughout logo, elements of type, etc) would be replaced with silver foil blocking.
* Pantone spot colour would replace the four- colour process  navy in the solid print and duotone images.

In a professional print environment, and with fewer time and financial constraints, these special print finishes would be applied for a far crisper, and more luxurious print outcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment