Tuesday 25 October 2011

Design Production for Print//Rotary blade billboards & posters.


Developing my ideas today to experiment with potential poster or billboard designs.
Considering how I could successfully communicate and promote all of Wes' films in a similar, yet innovative fashion was a little perplexing- and then I considered rotary blade billboards (more information can be found on my Design Context blog)- billboards with multiple surfaces printed on rotating slat faces to reveal several pictures (ordinarily three in an elongated triangular three-dimensional blade).
I decided to first experiment with the three Tenenbaum children- Margot, Chas and Richie- utilising a similar design style adopted for poster concepts yesterday with significant information of the festival, along with branding and visual consistency.

 

Applying my design into InDesign for a consistent, formatted grid structure- helping to align key elements of text and ensure a balanced visual outcome.


Although pleased with the simple duotone image with reversed-out white Futura type (particularly for the film festival title 'needle in the hay',), I felt that, considering the acclaim of both Wes' films, and the festival, that the use of a metallic spot colour may be a consideration in print finishes- to add a more considered finish. A quick experimentation with subtle blue Pantone metallics, and slightly more bold silvers proved that it was unnecessary, and, in fact, looked better without.


I then went on to apply the same style to an image of Chas Tenenbaum to create the second face of the rotary blade billboard, with duotone and adjustment curves layer, however, (and this may be a case of looking at my screen for too long...) I've grown dissatisfied with the style- it's perhaps too flat, too boring and not utilising my creativity as well as I could. I feel that I'm not "creating" enough, and have decided to experiment with some new styles before depending upon this one for my brand consistency- taking inspiration from Wes' rostrum shots and a more conceptual representation of the films in branding and promotions (see my Design Context blog for images sourced- inspired by Wes' iconic cinematography and use of rostrum shots).

However, I certainly don't want to leave this design direction unfinished, and hope to return to it for experimentation before I decide upon a final visual outcome or style consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment