Sunday 30 October 2011

Design Production for Print//Wes Anderson film colour palettes.



This afternoon I have been focused on creating a distinctive colour palette to use in my future designs for my Wes Anderson film festival promotional brief. Aside from just using standardised, or random colour swacthes from the colours most commonly associated with Wes' films (red, yellow, and blue) I went to to select specific tones and shades using screenshots and images from the films- finding that, indeed, blue, yellow and red were the most commonly used.
Got some beautiful tones and shades- particularly in the Darjeeling Limited palette- love how the Indian fabrics and surface patterns translate through so vividly. I then went on to choose two colours from each of the film palettes which I think best represented the film itself.


Dedicing upon these colours, I narrowed it down again for the basis of my design developments and exploration with colour. The five colours I chose are featured below- and I believe cover the palettes of all of Wes' films clearly and distinctively. Perhaps Tenenbaums less so- for it's unusual and ice cream-like colour palette, but the bold red of Chas, Azi and Uri's Adidas tracksuits still remain in the red swatch.


And as if by magic... the spectrum! Alongside one another like this, the pastel colours certainly do give off more of a child-like audience and visual feel to them- will need to ensure that my designs are sophisticated and creative enough to suit my 16/18-30 age bracket (late teens, young adults). Really happy with the colour palette though- I intend to combine no more than two, at a push three, colours in my design- this may be throughout the entirety, or say, on separate programmes, though I look forward to applying them to my designs soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment