Tuesday 2 October 2012

Design Practice III//Chosen briefs.


For the OUGD301 Design Practice III module, I have chosen, and narrowed down my selected brief(s) after a week's brief and rationale writing, along with discussing potential product outcomes, and evaluating the priority of the briefs and what I will gain from them.

Although I would still be keen to carry out all of the briefs, the ones I have chosen for evaluation (minimal) are as written below, with written explanation alongside. For more information, see both my Design Practice and Design Context blogs.


//


CHOSEN BRIEFS (PRIORITIES)


HONEY GIFT SET

Packaging, promotion, branding, research, editorial design, retail graphics

For me, the honey gift set/product range will be a great opportunity to research an industry which I'm particularly interested in, and will provide a vast range of possible product outcomes. As well as proposing a line of luxury (edible) honeys, I will also design a luxury gift set pack, which will contain a variety of honeys, spoon, recipe book and information guide about the decline of the honeybee within the UK.


The pack will be proposed as a not-for-profit gift, where all profits from retail sales will be donated to honeybee conservation charities in the UK.


ORANGE JUICE 'RIP IT UP' TOUR 2013

Branding, promotion, marketing, print, self-initiated brief

Again, much like the honey project, I was really keen to work on the proposed branding and promotion for the hypothetical 2013 'Rip it Up' Tour by Glaswegian 1980's band, 'Orange Juice', and it has been at the forefront of my mind to work to as a project for quite some time, with strong ideas about the visual outcome that I have been looking to achieve.


Again, for this project I'll be able to explore a wide range of product outcomes from promotional posters, to tickets, to wristbands, to gig programmes, to a website, and so on. 

I'm really looking forward to getting started, and hopefully achieving some really impressive finalised outcomes- not only for myself and my design portfolio, but potentially to receive some sort of recognition from the (design for music) industry, which is a real ambition for me.

UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS BALLET SOCIETY

Branding, promotional, marketing, print, live

Having met Carys, the Leeds Ballet Society President in person yesterday, I feel really energised and ready to make a good start on this brief. Having been given the deadline of November, and a really flexible budget (great news for me!), this brief will certainly be a priority, and will give me the chance to explore various methods of production and outcomes such as logo and brand identity development, digital editorial design, printed publication and the application of design onto textiles.


Really excited to start this live brief, particularly considering how exciting and interesting I find the industry- looking forward to starting very soon, with concept and pitch boards to be presented to Carys within the fortnight.


JAMES MAXWELL ARCHITECTURE
Brand identity, print, live brief

Having initially discussed the idea of creating a brand identity for James' design practice well over a year ago, as well as having a sustained interest in the design project, I also now feel a certain loyalty to achieving a successful design outcome for him.


With a partner in the Architecture industry, I also feel very blessed to have his insight and knowledge, as well as another form of constant contact and feedback (with very similar taste to James' own) which I'm sure will help me greatly along the design process.


JESSIE LEONG PHOTOGRAPHY

Brand identity, print, live brief

Having recently met Jessie, and having the privilege of working with her to strengthen my own photography in my design portfolio and in my online retail outlets, I've had a great opportunity to get to know both her and her work, and feel confident that together we could make a really strong brand identity which would visually communicate her outgoing personality, motivation and, I am sure, her sterling future for the industry.


With Jessie's motivation and ambition comes a great demand for potential outcomes in the project, which I know will be tough on me in terms of time management, but it certainly will meet the requirements of a "substantial brief".


CHOSEN BRIEFS FOR A LATER DATE

LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART DEGREE SHOW 2013

Branding, editorial, print, live, collaborative, promotional, marketing

As part of a collaborative brief with fellow Graphic Design student, Claudia Griffin, we hope to pitch our design concept and proposal for the end of year degree show as part of a promotional branding print brief- to visually communicate the effort and talent that the University holds and, hopefully, to get our work seen by a large sector of the industry and public.

BA (HONS) PRINTED TEXTILES AND SURFACE PATTERN DESIGN DEGREE BOOK 2013


Branding, editorial, print, live, collaborative, promotional, marketing


Again, as part of a collaborative brief later on in the year with Claudia Griffin, Kirsty Cave and Kirsty Alderson, we hope to put in a pitch for the editorial and publication design for the BA (Hons) Printed Textiles and Surface Pattern degree book 2013. With the benefit of living with four current third year students on the degree (Claudia and I), we hope this will be to our advantage, being able to gain insight and feedback from the girls as part of our concept development and proposed outcomes.


//


UNSELECTED BRIEFS


LULU & THE LENS PHOTOGRAPHY

Brand identity, print, live brief

Already having selected Jessie's brief for the OUGD301 module (see above), I decided that two Photography briefs would not add enough scope or variation to my project outcomes for the module. Although, again, the brand identity for Lulu and the Lens is still something I'm very much interested in for this year, and would like to set as an independent live brief, it won't be a priority in the module outcomes, perhaps submitting it as a smaller project at a later date.


CHRIS LUK ANIMATION

Brand identity, print, live brief

Although, again, it's a project I would really like to see through, particularly considering it would be a live brief for a graduating student, I feel that the particular industry Chris is involved with is one less naturally interesting too me, and that I wouldn't engage as successfully with it as a substantial brief for the year.


However, I still maintain the hope to complete the design for Chris' brand identity throughout the next few months as a personal project I can hopefully blog at a later date, or even use in my portfolio for extra credit.


FABER AND FABER TYPOGRAPHIC COVER SERIES

Editorial, competition, self-initiated, brand identity, typography, retail graphics, skills- driven

Although it would certainly be a good opportunity to develop and strengthen my typographic skills, I feel that this brief would not be too disimilar from the self initiated Design Practice II Grimm's Fairy Tales brief I undertook in Level 05. Although this may be a good opportunity to explore all that I did wrong in that brief, and attempt to improve upon it, I would be slightly nervous, that once again, things wouldn't go to plan, which is something I really want to avoid in this crucial year of my degree.


No comments:

Post a Comment