Tuesday 9 October 2012

Design Practice III//Group Crit Tutorial & Feedback.



The scanned in feedback sheets, as delivered from my peers in today's group crit/tutorial session with programme leader Fred Bates, along with six other fellow students, Sarah, Liam, Simon, Chris, Matt and Ben, all of whom delivered their own personal and professional viewpoints and advice in regards to my rationale, plans for the module and my individual briefs. Unfortunately I didn't have time to talk through the visual presentation I had put together, which I think may have illustrated my ambitions a little more clearly, however, the lack of this helped me to realise that I need to focus my concepts down more finely.

Although a little intimidating at times (pitching my ideas in a small room is something that I think will be a "practice makes perfect" situation..), it was a really useful constructive session in which I gained a lot of insight and the useful point of view from others (as I know I can often get too close and blinded by work) and some focus/direction of development over the next few weeks.

The general concensus was that my briefs were appropriate for my design practice, and well focused, but to be careful not to overwhelm myself with the amount of work set, and to create a balance in the work I am set to produce.

In the peer feedback there was a great suggestion from Matt to look at the Mark Ronson 'Version' ripped cover for my Orange Juice brief, which I will blog through my Design Context blog at a later date.

Also, a general feedback from Fred was to focus a lot more on what I hope to achieve and outcomes from the product, as well as just pulling our fingers out and cracking on, no excuses.
A lot of work to do before next week's crit session. Additional notes from the session, written below.

//

NOTES

- If we're doing a brief, we have to know what it is we're getting out of it.
- Visual communication is SO important. Need to pin down concept briefs for explanation so I am less vague and understandable to others.
- Living with Printed Textiles students an work for us as well as against- there's 66 students on the course, not 4.
- There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, as long as you're realistic.
- Don't let quantity compromise quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment