Friday 9 March 2012

Image//Book Works//Design amendments.



Having difficulties with my printed designs in terms of colour matching, I have decided to print my books from home. The quality from the digital print room was uncharacteristically poor, stripey, and the yellow was far more of an olive/puce colour than the sunshine, bright yellow that I had used (and checked was print-available in the CMYK gamut). 
Unfortunately, I had not taken the considerations of the flooded yellow into my designs when I presumed that I would be printing from Uni, and, consequently, this has really pushed my costings up.

Initial cost calculations:

£3.36 per book (stock + print)
x 5 = £16.80

5 x £5 (RRP) = £25, therefore, making £8.20 profit.

HOWEVER, with the density of flooded colour, each book took AN ENTIRE CARTRIDGE to print, each cartridge costing me £23. There is no way I can justify selling the book, in my opinion, above £5, so, for now, I'll just have to take the hit. Ouch.

As a result, I have only been able to print x2 books for the book fair (as money is tight), and hope to get the other three books printed for the module hand-in.

Due to this printing change, I have also made a few ammendments to the design, to ensure at the late stage of printing (two days before project hand in) I could get all the pages printed- making pages 2, 3, 4, and the final page, 29, white with yellow text (where necessary) to save on print costs.

Well, this has been a lesson. If nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment