Wednesday 4 January 2012

Design Production for Digital//Silent Movie//Final Outcomes.


My final series of 5 second motion graphic designs for the 'Silent Movie' Design Production for Digital project. Overall, I am reasonably pleased with the outcome, given my (extreme) lack of knowledge of the software (my only experience being in the tutorial workshops), though I really look forward to the next workshops in the module so I can return to this project to produce far more polished, interesting and varied designs. As well as the technical aspect, I feel that my storyboarding could have been more creative- again, I will return to this, hopefully with some more elaborate and visually engaging concepts.

AIM: To spend at least half an hour a week until module hand in on each of the motion graphics outcomes, with additional concepts, storyboards, and examples of the application of what I have learnt in workshop sessions.

 

SEQUENCE 1- I think perhaps my favourite of all the sequences in the series, although simple, I think it is the most visually communicative of the word "stretch" (inspired by elasticated catapults/elastic bands) and is key framed, and sequenced well temporally and spacially. 


SEQUENCE 2- Not an idea I originally designed in a storyboard, but due to time constraints, and the sudden rush of inspiration, I went ahead to create it, and, consequently, am quite pleased with the results- but I know it could do with a great deal more consideration. Inspired by elastic bands, once more- but the bobbing motion at the end reminded me of a yo-yo- string, perhaps this is an idea I could play upon at a later date?



SEQUENCE 3- Although originally this was my favourite concept, I feel that now this could be the sequence that needs the most work at a later date- for a little more visual interest. However, I do like the idea of stretching the ascenders and descenders of the type still- I was worried when picking the word "stretch" it would result in unattractive ultra-condensed or manipulated characters that would be illegible, but to me, this was a great compromise, whilst still ensuring that my designs were visually communicating my chosen word.



SEQUENCE 4- Again, not initially planned as an outcome in storyboard format, but manipulate and tweaked from an existing design. Quite like how this turned out- my inspiration was floating balloons being released from a box/bag (see secondary source video inspiration on my Design Context blog)- the timing and rotation of the characters in quite effective after the initial "burst" motion at the beginning- perhaps could do with a more graduated ending- pace seems a little fast? Definitely something to consider when re-designing.



SEQUENCE 5- Perhaps the most true to my original storyboard (though, in my original storyboard this was due to be sequence 4), just a slight alteration of the scale of the first key frame type and position- from my work at the start of the motion design making, I think a definite improvement in regards to temporal and spacial awareness is evident- though perhaps a little predictable in concept, this sequence shows my clearest understanding and execution of the After Effects software.

No comments:

Post a Comment