Thursday 19 January 2012

Image//Editorial//'This column will change your life'.


The images below show the progress and design process in making my editorial image design for this week's brief, to work alongside the article entitled 'This column will change your life', which particularly highlighted humans difficulties to comprehend large jumps in numbers (in terms of finance in particular- the difference between a million, billion, trillion, etc)- with more annotation and thought process written below each of the design stages.



Inspired by the Guilloché patterns engraved onto various bank note designs, I found a great online source (link directly above) in which you could generate your own spirograph- like patterns and designs. Originally concieved the idea of using this as a repeat pattern alone, but, again, I didn't consider scales and dimension of the article space enough at the time and felt that the design might be a little too elaborate and busy to sit 
alongside the text.

I also tried experimenting with overlaying paper cut type- using white on white and the varying typefaces to add to the "confusion" of the numbers as described in the article- although I didn't see the design process through to the full extent, I was already finding the concept a little too "samey" and dull- and that it was time to move on with something else- though it was a good chance to experiment with another method of delivery.


Again- another experiment this time, creating my own pattern, inspired by the "matrix rain" from the film franchise, 'The Matrix'- using a typeface named 'Hammer Keys' with a typewriter- style, faded effect with the varying green tints against the solid black background. Again, wasn't really "feeling" this design- felt a bit too plain and literal for my liking- I needed something more creative and conceptual to maintain my interest in developing the design further.


Inspired by an image search for 'numbers', and sourcing images of colour blind tests, I decided to create my own after a "flash" of concept inspiration- (with a '#' tag representing numbers, as opposed to a number itself) acting as a metaphor with people's confusion over numbers, as the article discusses. After two and a half hours and becoming half-blinded by the colours at 6400% zoom, I am quite happy with the design and I think it carries the concept well- probably my favourite throughout this editorial image series, and something quite different in terms of my own design practice.

In context (featured on a later post on my Design Practice blog) the image would be printed without a border directly onto stock (newsprint web offset printed).

No comments:

Post a Comment