Tuesday 24 January 2012

Image//Type as Image//Brass Rubbing.



A short post documenting the development of my 'Brass Rubbing' A1 type as image design- the progress I made in designing the final outcome, what I feel I could improve, etc.

I started out by trying to combine separate typefaces- one of which would visually communicate the bold, robust (metal) brass, whilst another would be softer and relaxed- a script/italic typeface- though I found this wasn't working as well as I'd hoped- few sat together well on screen.
Finally I decided on using Futura Condensed Extrabold for the two words (free distort transforming the 'rubbing' to give it more visual impact and emphasis)- communicating the density and weight of the brass of the quote. I went on to use gold and black- not only to represent the metal through the yellow-gold colour, but the black to add the look of tarnish- as if the brass has been rubbed too much, or too vigorously- and adding texture and a linear black-gold gradient to add the final "rubbed" texture.

Ideally, I was originally intending to screenprint this design, however, I unfortunately won't have enough time in balance with the other modules currently going on- a shame, but definitely something worth considering for future designs- and hopefully I will achieve a similar aesthetic from having applied my texture layers.

Something quite different for me, still not too sure if I like the design or not- though I think it is communicative and clear to a degree- now I just need to work on perfecting a style of design that suits me, my way of working, and, if possible, to start developing a certain niche style or characteristic to my work that will help boost both my confidence and my portfolio in regards to my design practice.

THE FINAL DESIGN OUTCOME CAN BE SEEN AT THE TOP OF THE BLOG POST/PAGE.


No comments:

Post a Comment