Thursday 2 February 2012

Design Production for Digital//Top 10//Ident 4: RESOLVED.




After a break from my second ident in After Effects (Ident #4: 'Dive') overnight, I returned to make a few small changes in order to be full satisfied with the final design- finding the feedback session really helpful in yesterday's final crit, I decided to post my video onto my Flickr account, to see about how other people were engaging with it, how it could be improved, etc, and was really happy to see people were thinking along a similar path- to add a "splash" motion when the penguin jumps into the water- and perhaps a few more bubbles at the end of the sequence (when the CBBC logo and text float upward) so that the existing bubble assets don't look quite so isolated.


 

Test 1- Adding the splash motion for when the penguin dives into the water- too fast-paced (though fitting to the audio/existing motion) and to me the more organic shapes looked a little messy and out of place in comparison to the more geometric, angled shapes around it.

 

Test 2- Adding bubbles as opossed to the splash- still visually communicative of the splashing motion, and helps keep consistency with the other bubble assets at the end of the sequence- added a few more at the end also, to add more interest- still a little jumpy, however.

   

FINAL- A simple edit, graduating the opacity of the bubbles as they rise up from the penguin as it's position travels vertically towards the end of the sequence, makes it look a little more fluid and natural- less jumpy. Still lots of things I could change about this design, but, for the meanwhile at least, I'm reasonably happy with it, and it fulfils my initial ideas and storyboards in terms of visual outcome, and is kept consistent with the existing ident, 'Diet'.


A screenshot of my maximised layers panel- again, colour coding has been essential! Only twenty-five layers- compared to some other people, I feel as though I'm not pushing myself enough (after seeing their mammoth rendering times) though I feel that adding any more to my designs would be unnecessary really- in consideration for my target audience and the limitations of the duration of the ident sequence itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment