Saturday 4 February 2012

Image//2D to 3D to 2D//Design Drawings.



On the Thursday evening, returning home from Uni after being given the new 2D/3D/2D image brief, I went straight to work on producing some simple images, design drawings and diagrams to get myself organised for the production of my 3D Rubik's Cube. Having previously booked a laser cutting session last week, I decided to use this to cut out the paper pieces needed for the construction of the Cube, to ensure that it could be made as neatly and efficiently as possible (also competing with an end of module brief next week). Therefore- I drew up my design sketches to calculate the dimensions needed for the body of the cube, as well as the background- organising the colours and dimensions needed through online contextual research.
Discovering that the original Rubik's cube was 56mm x 56mm x 56mm, I felt that this would be a little too small and fiddly to work with in terms of papercraft- so for ease and photographic purposes, I have decided to double the dimensions for my own designs when created in Adobe Illustrator, ready for laser cutting.
Again, like my initial illustration drawn in the project briefing session, I decided to stick with the character design, this way more effectively being able to communicate the "happy" and "twist" motion as selected in my rationale.


No comments:

Post a Comment