Sunday 5 February 2012

Design Production for Digital//Top 10//Title Sequence//Initial Tests.




The initial experimentation and design development process in making my sixty-second title sequence design- the initial stages of the design process, adding existing material into the design as well as creating new sequence connectors, experimenting with audio, etc- with screenshot and composition render outcomes documenting the process below.


(Adding another vignette layer onto the background to give a darker shade- more contrast with the white/cream of the egg)- now, after my Ident 3 revalations- discovering that this shade is too light anyway (!)- more ammendments need to be made.


Finding the revolving of the egg (the roll rotation) that I originally wanted very difficult to "master" and quite clumsy- as not all sides of the egg vector are rounded, it looks very unbelievable and disjointed- messy and horrible.





Initial test with the beginning of the title sequence- with the concept of  "A day in a life of a penguin"- from it's egg hatching, to it's first dive, to it's time in the sea. Not sure it too much content and narrative is going to work from these initial tests, however- it might all be a bit too complicated. The egg sequence- for example, being difficult enough- quite awkward to get a pivot on the top half of the egg shell in rotation, looks clumsy and awkward.

   

Trying out the egg position moving in a straight line with the penguin popping out- but frankly it just looks silly and messy- and the more I look at it, the more "un-keen" I am on the background- something cleaner, crisper, and more consistent with the idents, I'm sure, would be far more effective.

   

Lots more content filled in this time! Copying, pasting and editing composition projects from existing experiments and idents, as well as creating new vectored material- but perhaps most significantly, experimenting more with the trimming of my audio- here, taking both the beginning and end sections of the existing ident audio, and then using a trimmed section from the original soundtrack as a filler- not as smooth as I would like in the end of the sequence in this example, but easy to fix (more QuickTime edits). 
Tried out a new concept for an end to the sequence here- with the penguin swimming, seemingly increasing in size the closer it gets to the screen- but looks a bit too much like a penguin-y godzilla to me- and isn't consistent with any other feature within the motion graphics sequences so far.

   

 Seem to have lost my diving penguin somewhere- argh. C'est la vie. If/When I come to After Effects again, I'm going to ensure that I inject myself with caffeine so these sorts of silly mistakes don't happen again. Tried scaling up the text/title at the end of the sequence- but looks far too slow and dull for me... something more fun definitely needed.

 
 
 

I experimented with various different ways to bring the text down to the middle of the screen for the main focus at the end of the title sequence, and a simple drop of each letter on the top line met with the single vertical rise (position) of the second line suited the timing and pace well- ensuring that the title got enough length in the sequence to be read and understood without being too slow or enduring.


After adjusting the background layer to the same as Ident 3 (as previously discovered in a past blog post- and I want to keep the vignette shade consistent!) the drop shadow on the type definitely looked a little too much- I tried editing this- trying with and without in certain areas, and found that removing it all together has a much better visual outcome- now, to move on and get this module finished! Lots more designing still to do (too much...)


The title sequence as it currently stands- obviously A LOT still to do... and a lot of gaps to fill- all the content so far is largely copied and pasted from idents- need to work on getting this finished by tomorrow afternoon at the very latest (no pressure...). With a new concept for my 'slide' ident, this will certainly help to beef it out a little. Initially I was concerned that the visual didn't cover my 'Top 10' in question (diet, scale, species, habitat, evolution, colony, slide, plumage, conservation, swim and dive) though I feel that "showing rather than telling" is not only appropriate- but perhaps a necessity at this stage. Hopefully I will cover as many as possible whilst still making the design flow, and not look too forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment