Tuesday 7 February 2012

Design Production for Digital//Top 10//Outcomes resolved.


My finalised outcomes for the Design Production for Digital module- OUGD202, looking here at the 'Top Ten' (Studio) Brief (2). Although I will go into more detail through my evaluation on Wednesday, I felt that now would be a good time to give a brief summary of my work, and my feelings towards it- of which there is a real mix. Considering how only two months ago I barely knew what After Effects was, I feel, in myself, a great improvement in terms of knowledge and understanding of the software- which I hope to have demonstrated within my designs and design development process.



IDENT 1//COLONY

I can still see a lot of faults in this design, which is frankly unsurprising due to the short deadline I worked to to produce it. However, despite the late conception and the areas for improvement, I think the design is okay- it works well with the audio, and still communicates a fun, friendly and engaging motion sequence which I believe is appropriate for my chosen age range and target market.
Most noticeably- could have used rulers and grids more effectively when working with the key frame motion and placement of assets within  my design- some areas are slightly uneven- perhaps not noticeable at first, but to my beady eye, they're a sore thumb.

   

 IDENT 2//SPECIES

My least favourite of the designs for this motion graphics brief- again, unsurprisingly as it was the piece that I certainly spent the least time over, due to a lack of planning and preparation on my part, ashamedly. My initial idea for this sequence was far more elaborate and interesting than this "time filler"-like design, too bland, uninteresting, and isn't very effective a means of visual communication in terms of my subject matter.

   

 IDENT 3//DIET

Definitely the favourite amongst the final outcomes for my designs- and, in stark contrast with the ident above, unsurprisingly, because it is the one that I spent most time on. I feel the concept is strong and simple- inspired by the Pacman-like style in the way the penguin eats. Really simple motion, which is repetitive, but works well and remains uniformed in it's overall visual aesthetic.


   

IDENT 4//DIVE

The remake of my original ident design- I much preferred the original- where far more time and consideration was spent over it, and this was simply a last minute amendment- trying to match the original as effectively and efficiently as possible.
As a concept, I think that this design works reasonably well- fitting quite well to the rhythm and beat of the audio soundtrack- particularly the stopwatch sequence which I'm most pleased with. Again, lots more could be done to make the design far more crisp and perhaps minimal, particularly in this second remake design.

   

FINAL TITLE SEQUENCE

As far as my title sequence goes- it's okay. Not brilliant, but not terrible. Before I added the text at the different sequences and key frames throughout the title sequence (what I believe to be one of it's redeeming features) it was simply a collection of idents stuck together in a slightly mish-mashed and hurried way. Adding the type was definitely a good move- and I'm very glad that I made it more of a feature within the design. Ideally, I would have spent a lot more time creating unique projects to make up the entire title sequence as opposed to utilising ident designs, but, of course, time was a massive constraint- all my fault, and naturally quite frustrating because of it- definitely learnt for next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment