Monday 6 February 2012

Image//2D to 3D to 2D//Initial Vector Design.



Working to a particularly tight deadline this week due to a multitude of projects currently going on through the course, I had to be especially organised with generating my designs for this week's image brief. With a laser cutting session booked on Friday, I used Thursday evening (immediately after the image session) to generate some quick vector-based designs which would be saved as Illustrator 10 files (see screenshot image above) to be able to be transfered onto the laser cutting software programme to ensure efficiency and accuracy with my paper cut designs. 
Working with my initial illustration, and the dimensions and colours researched, I went onto generate my simple designs for the net and square "stickers" for my three-dimensional paper Rubik's Cube design- images shown below. 


When it came to cutting out the design for the net(s) (x3 for each individual twisted body segment- approximately 36mm in height each to make the 112mm body height total when the 3 pieces are joined together) I was actually inaccurate with my initial design- one of the side panels needing a greater length to evenly match the sides of the net- therefore, a couple of days later, I went on to cut this by hand, following a simple design drawing.


Again, in my initial illustrative design drawings, I envisaged a starburst background for the disco scene- which, as shown in the image above, I went on to create in Adobe Illustrator, however, when going to laser cut this item, the software didn't recognised the manipulated stroke outline, but the original elipse from it's original form- so, sadly, on this occasion, it didn't work- but it has given me something to remember for the future- that the design should be created from an originally drawn outline in order to cut fully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment