Sunday 5 February 2012

Design Production for Digital//Top 10//Ident 1: FINISHED.


Not having a great deal of aesthetic sucess with my initial idea for 'Ident 1' in the 'Slide' sequence, I decided to try something new as opossed to working away at an idea which may potentially not work at all- all too aware of how impending the deadline is for the module. Therefore, I decided to take a look at another of my "top 10" factors- colony, and kept the similar visual consistency with my other two idents- largely focusing in water- the sea vignette background being particularly strong in terms of visual communication, and the simplicity aimed at in terms of style for my target audience of 5-11 year olds. Going along with the water theme, I decided to create a synchronised swimming scene with several penguins to represent the "colony"- not too different from my other two idents (so far) as well as my title sequence- consistent, but with clear differences- this, in particular, with the multiple penguins.


Trying out a bit of key frame interpolation and orienting round a circular path created in illustrator- though a bit too rigid with the rest of the scene in terms of how uniform it looks- I wanted something a little more fun and spontaneous- which hopefully is communicated by the "starburst" like effect I created with the penguins towards the end of the sequence.



Not having spent too long on this ident design,  I was quite pleased with the result (though dissapointed that I couldn't spend more time to indulge on it as I would have otherwise liked- because I'm far too picky and take too long over everything...). A few small things to change- the penguin at the end should be vertical to repeat the motion at the beginning of the sequence (ties it up/rounds it up better), and a very small notice- the wing of the penguin (in it's imported illustrator file) is slightly detached from the body- leaving a very small white line- but if I can see it, then there's bound to be others that also can- a quick change in illustrator, reload the footage in After Effects and sorted.

   

Again, ideally I would like to spend a great deal more time on this design, though the module deadline creeps ever closer and and I quite dissapointed in myself for not getting things done sooner- or predicting just how fussy I would be over every little detail, still not entirely happy with the outcome. But, for now, at very least, the vimeo video directly above shows my finalised outcome for Ident #1: 'Colony'.

No comments:

Post a Comment