Sunday 6 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Designing my own typeface.



As part of my book cover illustrative designs I knew, of course, that type would be an essential factor in my design process. As I am still keen to progress with my paper cut style, which I think will add a quite traditional and dark element to the stories (as they were classically written and told), I knew that I would loose counters in any type I was working with, and therefore needed a font that would suit this cut style. A few I found were quite interesting, but not really suited the entire range of stories in both the Grimms tales, and the other children's classics I was proposing for the range, as I hoped that the styles of the publication and printed/screen based promotional material would be consistent.
I decided to work with uppercase to keep the style bold and attention-grabbing.



The type that I felt worked most effectively was a downloaded font named 'Old Road Signs Font', and although I liked the fact it was a little different, with a bit of character in it's rough edges (which could themselves have been paper cut- or given the appearance of), I didn't want to over do this style, as I still want the designs to look quite crisp in their minimalism.


Basing my typographic designs around this existing typeface, I went on to create an uppercase set of letters with alpha numerics and various glyphs that may be necessary to use throughout my design process- named 'Paper cut sans' with both an open and closed face, in order to see the finalised outcome of the closed counter effect that paper cutting will achieve.
I think the bold, simple style will work well across a range of my designs, with a little hint of character, whilst not detracting from the central images.


No comments:

Post a Comment