Sunday 13 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Logo design.



One of the trickier decisions to make throughout my Design Practice has been specifying a logo for my 200 Books/200 Schools campaign. As I am promoting the reading scheme under the Puffin (Penguin) Publishing House, to act as a live brief would, and, of course, to apply my designs into further context, I wanted to ensure that I kept the Puffin logo to represent the heritage of the company and trust within it's reading promotions and schemes, but also to add the element of the '200 Books...' design consistency.


After experimenting with applying my Paper Cut Sans typeface to the design in various ways, I decided to set it to an oval path, which emulated the oval in which the Puffin character sits, to keep it simple, readable, classic, and not drawing any attention away from the main details, whilst still representing the rotational period of book distribution and a "loop" which may represent the national distribution of the books and schemes throughout the UK.


For the Puffin, I live traced the iconic logo from an EPS vector pack on the Puffin competition brief site for a slightly more hand-rendered, silhouette approach, sitting comfortably with my current designs, and, instead of applying the yellow background which is normally found within the oval, I have decided to keep the design black and white to suit the colour palette of the entirety of the product range and promotional design(s).


No comments:

Post a Comment