Wednesday 16 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Final Crit Feedback.




Feedback from today's final crit session. Little disappointed that I didn't have more to show for it, but still received some really great feedback which I'm really grateful for, and which will definitely change the outcome of my project, and leaves a lot more room for experimentation (and work!) between now and then.


NOTES


FEEDBACK


- There is really no colour at all. I really don't think black and white works for fairy tale books even add a background colour.
- Needs to be more exciting.
- Body text to boost fluent readability in body text, try a serif font, 'Garamond'- ideal for body text and will reduce page numbers significantly.
- Drop page type size down by a pt or two.
- Too flat, add tones.
- Like the duplex on the bookmark
- Reduce margins on grid slightly.
- Reduce leading between paragraphs.


- Are you sure sans serif is the best option for a classic story?
- Serif would reflect the feeling of the story.
- Nice self explanatory range- bookmark could become it's own "iccle" range.
- Page 10 is fresh, how could you experiment further.


- Audio CD is a good idea.
- Like title pages, nice layout.
- Think about serif fonts (adds to traditional values).
- Web site.
- Appropriate and relevant imagery to subject.
- Really like the vector Puffin logo.
- Needs more examples of illustrations.
- Imagery is cool... colour would bring it out a bit better.
- Having colour would fit the fairy tale them.
- I like the castle!


ACTION PLAN


So... A LOT of changes to be made. Whilst I felt as though I had justified decisions I made RE the black and white/type, obviously, I am not the customer. I often find myself getting too involved at my work/looking at it too much, so I really value the opinions of others, and am definitely going to take them on board, as the taste and opinions of others can't be taken lightly!


My action plan for the next couple of days... (as well as several personal to-do lists)


// EXPERIMENT WITH TYPE- LOOK AT SERIF TYPEFACES (16th May)


// WORK WITH COLOUR, DECIDE WHICH DESIGN OUTCOME IS APPROPRIATE (16th May)


// SPECIFY EXACT STOCKS TO USE (16th May)


//FINALISE ILLUSTRATIONS FOR BOOK DESIGN (18th May)

No comments:

Post a Comment