Wednesday 9 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Blurb Printing.



http://www.blurb.com/make/


As the book will take at least a week to get printed and bound, I really need to get a move on in terms of putting together my Blurb Grimm's booklet.
For this, I have downloaded the "Full creative control" Blurb Template to install with Adobe InDesign to be able to use my own imagery and type in an unstructured layout which I will be able to independently grid and design appropriately.


The specifications I have chosen for my book design include:


- Standard format (approx A5) portrait format
- 41-60 pages
- Softcover
- Standard paper (118 gsm, lightweight quality)
- Custom logo upgrade (Removing the Blurb logo for additional fee, approx. £2.50)
- Brilliant white stock (to work well in bold contrast with my black silhouette- style vector- based illustrations and black text/body copy)


The total cost of the book has come to £24.93 ex VAT


For one unit, realistically, this is pretty expensive, but for now it's a time and quality matter, and the service that I'm paying for to ensure that my book is of high quality and that, hopefully, it produces some great results.
Ordinarily, the book would be printed in bulk lithograph orders in issues of thousands, particularly within a well-financed and successful publishing house such as Penguin (Puffin) that I am proposing my 200 Books/200 Schools promotional printed books are a part of.


No comments:

Post a Comment