Thursday 24 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Poster Designs.




Working on designs for a promotional poster for the Grimm's Fairy Tales September 2012 200 Books 200 Schools reading scheme promotion. At first, I considered creating a design which focused purely on the branding of the entire scheme, but felt that having an individual poster for each of the monthly book releases, which would appropriately suit the redesign of the reading progress packs, book covers, bookmarks, etc. 


I decided to purchase some stock photos, as opposed to depending upon internet searches. For me, this is something I want to get used to for legal purposes, and to start developing my professional practice in terms of fair usage of images online, and, surprisingly, it was quite good value for money, with around 6 images for £11 (15 credits) all sized to around A5 scale (dimensions appropriate to the original photograph resolution, and how it has been scaled down).


Credits are shown for the images used are as below:




BILLBOARD ADVERTISING


Image credit:  olechowski / 123RF Stock Photo

CLASSROOM WITH CLOCK


Image credit:  archidea / 123RF Stock Photo

CLOSE UP APPLE CLASSROOM


APPLE PRODUCTS


MAC 



In my original quick drawings and very primitive ideas for potential poster designs, whilst still using my black and white colour palette, the castle illustration was still strongly featured within my designs. Again, for consistency (and a lack of time, to some degree) I decided to stick to this design idea, and perhaps make just a few small changes to create the promotional poster design for both classroom and library environments as well as outdoors by school bus stops to attract the attentions of parents with a URL link onto the puffin website for further details. I wanted to leave the information on the poster minimal, and slightly vague so it could be posted out before the 200 Books scheme kicked off to add a little curiosity and anticipation for the event.


In a simple context, I wanted to evoke the excitement of reading and felt that magic would be appopriate to the subject matter, but in these tradition, classic tales I wasn't sure if the wording was appropriate (magic isn't really discussed in the original tales, but fantastical things happen), and thought of using the word 'enchanted' instead, though this felt a little elaborate, so I decided to keep it simple with the tagline, 'Discover the magic of reading'.



Again, kept very simple, but hopefully eye-catching and engaging enough as a poster design for a classroom/school environment in which I am proposing it would be. Through the classroom/school posters I researched (see my Design Context blog), the posters were all generally quite minimal, so I have kept to this as much as possible, with limited text and consistency of the product design range.

Below: Images Photoshopped into a classroom environment as well as an outside (school) bus shell advert, ready to be displayed on my design boards for module submission.


No comments:

Post a Comment